Friday, April 9, 2010

...the progression of work

I had great stitching plans for being in the studio this morning, my plan had included some sample stitching, development of collage based images for a mixed media series along with a quilting and painting sampler. I really wanted to move things along so I decided to start the studio day with something completely different and cleared a bit of table space for the sewing machine... perplexing to say the least. I could not get my sewing machine to work. I had leant it to a neighbour sometime ago and have not used it since! Could I figure it out - yes if I spent some time on it but with time moving on I decided to refocus, twitted the three items on the left and then got on with something else. I went back to some of the collages I had started on the mac in photoshop. I love the progression of an image.
I worked on a montage last week it is part of the 'Legacy series' and is linked to underneath my grandmothers table and memories are made of theseI printed it on to cotton with the idea to stitch it. It was quiet flat. I left it alone for a few days to mull over.
Now I can see that the leaf motif needs to be printed, stitched and embellished separately and then layer on top of the print. It would look well printed on heavy watercolour paper with the leaf stitched on. I’m also considering making the background out of ultramarine silk nuno felted with orange – yellow felt with surface detail of silk tops. But I think… background printed on to cotton a metallic thread stitch of the quote in the lower left corner and the embellished leaf motif stitched on. What do you think?
The leaf and its autumn colouring I wanted to explore more...

I'm happy with this one and it prints out well. I plan to stitch and bead sparsely.
So although I did not get what I had planned to do done I did have a good creative day at the studio; printed out images for stitching, laid out a rough draft for a collage, posted a new image Correspondance on Redbubble, listened to some podcasts and had some creative headspace to mull over doing, being and progressing some visual work. Fantastic... now its time for a walk and the weekend. Love Fridays.
Oh and the quote that is featured you might enjoy it
"When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and your discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be.” Patanjali

1 comment:

Rose Hughes said...

It's hard to believe no one has commented on this posting R, but I like being the first. There's a lot going on here, first off I love that you did not let the original plan for the day get sullied by 'a machine not working', and that you went with the flow of creativity. The montage that you worked on are lovely and your idea of minimal stitching & beading will give them even more of a sense of depth. Very exciting, and now that they are printed out it I look forward to seeing them as they move more through the process.

BTW - I love quotes, and really enjoyed the ones you have shared here. Snippets to set us on a right path. Thank you for sharing this day with me.

Popular Posts